Too often we're faced with individuals who claim to be representatives of Alden Short, Inc. at homes with unsuspecting prospects, trying to collect money by saying they are our rental homes' owners. In property management, this is common. We want to educate you so you can know how to protect yourself from scammers and unlawful people who could take hundreds, if not thousands of dollars from you.Here are some helpful tips so you know you're doing business with Alden Short, Inc. when renting a home or apartment in the Dallas area.
- Alden Short, Inc. lists our homes and apartments available for rent on our website, www.ashortinc.com. If you find the home on our website, then you can feel safe applying there and calling the phone numbers listed on our website.
- Our leasing agents and their pictures are listed on our website, too, at www.ashortinc.com/about-us/. So, if you're concerned about who you're working with, double check their names and images on the website.
- We NEVER ask you to wire money to us. If someone is asking you to do you, they are not legitimate Alden Short, Inc. employees!
- We NEVER deal in cash! If someone who claims to be a representative of Alden Short, Inc. is asking you for cash, DO NOT PROCEED! We accept deposits, fees and rent in the form of cashier's checks, money orders, or debit/credit cards on our online portal, which you can access from our website.
- We DO NOT show you the houses we have for rent in person. You will not see our house leasing agents at any of our houses. We use a product called Rently, the maker of the lock box that you'll use to enter the home, to help you schedule a self-tour. We do this so that you can tour our homes at your convenience, without the pressure of a leasing agent at the home.
- To sign a lease with Alden Short, Inc, you must come into our office at 8230 Moberly Lane, Dallas TX 75227. We do not accept verbal leases/agreements, and we do not do this electronically. This ensures the legitimacy and safety of all parties.
- Beware of landlords that have little interest in your background. If a person claiming to be a representative of Alden Short, Inc. does not do a criminal and credit background check on you, you're not doing business we us! We run your credit, criminal background, check your rental history and your employment history.
- Be aware of market rental rates. If you're renting a 4 bed, 2 bath home in Garland but the person you're talking to us only asking for $800 a month in rent, it's not Alden Short, Inc! You can see our rental homes and their rental prices on our website.
- Utilize our Facebook page for fact-checking information, asking us questions directly through the Messenger, and alerting us of any fraudulent activity you may have found online or are dealing with.
If you are a victim of a scam, you should contact the police and get a police report. Provide as much information as you can! Please also alert Alden Short, Inc. so we can assist the police in prosecuting this scammer. By doing this, you're helping other potential victims from dealing with the same situation as you.
We take this matter very seriously and aim to do everything we can to protect our tenants and prospective residents. We cannot stress enough the importance of utilizing our website to find all the information you need to rent an affordable home or apartment in the Dallas area.
For questions or concerns, call us here at (214) 824-6885, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.